Monday, August 28, 2023

Tea Tasting Notes: 2018 Spring Raw from white2tea

This is a 100G cake from w2t’s puer basics sampler pack, which, when I bought it, I didn’t realize was all raw puer (I was a serious newbie back then - all of about a year ago).  Not a big fan of any of those teas, and I’ve read less-than-flattering comments about the pack on reddit.

https://white2tea.com/collections/tea-sample-sets/products/basics-puer-tea-sample-set

First try shortly after receiving it about 9 months ago:  Similar to the 2018 Huangpian cake - astringent, not enjoyable.  [Betting I brewed that at full boiling back then]

Second try: Well, my guess is that I was brewing this at full-on boiling the first time.  Brewing per raw puer - 200F, 7G leaf in 120ml pot (might be a little heavy on the leaf, but we’ll see)

  • 1st: Not astringent or bitter, a bit of a bite (I don’t really know what the fancy term is for that); dark golden liquor; not a dominating flavor - it’s OK at best
  • Got about 7-8 infusions before it ran out of flavor, well, really before I decided I was done with it.  Not exactly my favorite flavor profile.  Maybe it’s got some camphor/menthol working, that isn’t quite my “cup of tea” (pardon that….).  If so, I may not be in for a treat when I eventually try my minis of w2t Camphornaught.


No comments:

Post a Comment